Where do I find information on…
- What degree requirements I’ve completed/need to complete?
- Log in to your myUMBC account, and check your Degree Audit.
- UMBC Biology major requirements? Here!
- UMBC Psychology minor requirements? Here!
- How to transfer credits to UMBC? Here!
- Advising and suggested courses for pre-health careers? Here!
- Declaring a minor or additional major? Here!
You’re my academic adviser. What do I need to do to get cleared for registration next semester?
- I require all my advisees to complete a pre-registration form that I typically email to your UMBC address a week before the registration calendar opens.
- Once you complete the pre-registration form, I will clear you to register.
- In the pre-registration form, you’ll receive a link to my advising calendar, where you can set up a phone appointment with me if you would like.
- If you don’t see any times that work for you, email me to set up a time for advising.
You’re not my academic adviser, but can you help me with an advising issue anyway?
- I can try, but keep in mind that I am responsible for 40+ BIOL advisees, though!
- I may refer you here or to another person who can better help.
What classes should I take for my BIOL major?
- Consider your personal schedule and graduation goals. Do you want to work towards graduating in 4 years? Plan to take at least 15 credits each fall and spring semester.
- For good topic balance, I recommend scheduling no more than 75% of your credits each semester with STEM courses. Use the remaining 25% to address GEP requirements and courses that interest you.
Can you get me registered/wait-listed for a course I want to take?
- No, I can’t! I recommend contacting the course instructor by email and making your request that way.
- If you are currently/will take a prerequisite for a course at another school, send a screenshot of your registration to the instructor.
- You will need to pass the course with a “C” grade or better in prerequisites in order to stay enrolled in the course you wish to take.
Am I ready for graduation?
- Check your Degree Audit to be sure. You will see all courses you have taken or are currently taking as fulfilling graduation, GEP, and/or major and minor requirements. Any areas you still need courses in will be shown in drop-down boxes.
- You’ll receive an email from the UMBC Registrar when you are eligible to apply for graduation. Once you do, I will be prompted to review your degree audit as well.
I have a question about my financial aid/scholarship eligibility. Who should I contact?
- Contact the Financial Aid and Scholarships staff: https://financialaid.umbc.edu/contact/
- A full time student schedule is 12 credits– this credit load may be required for some funding sources.